The 5 Leading Causes Of BlindnessHere are the 7 main causes of blindness:
- Uncorrected refractive errors: These can include myopia, hyperopia or astigmatism, and can often be corrected with eyeglasses.
- Cataracts: These typically affect those over 65 years old, but can also be a common side effect of conditions like diabetes. Cataracts happen when the lens of your eye becomes less transparent and can cause your sight to appear cloudy.
- Age-related macular degeneration (AMD): This causes you to lose central vision as the macula in your retina deteriorates.
- Glaucoma: This occurs when fluid builds up in your eye and causes pressure.
- Diabetic retinopathy: As the name implies, this stems from diabetes.
Please support SDCB